Friday, February 15, 2008

Chuck Heaton Passes Away at 90

Legendary Cleveland sportswriter Chuck Heaton has passed away at the age of 90. The fine folks at Gray & Co. Publishers gave me a chance to review his new book on the Browns, but I unfortunately never took them up on the offer. First, I simply didn't have the time, and second I just wasn't familiar with Heaton's work. Like Hal Lebovitz, Heaton wrote for the Cleveland Plain Dealer. But Lebovitz eventually moved on to the Lorain Morning Journal, which is how I became exposed to him. Heaton never made such a move. Still, one I'm finally done with all this schooling business, I think I'm going to pick up a copy of Heaton's book.

Heaton may be better known to a younger, nationwide audience as the father of Patricia Heaton of Everybody Loves Raymond fame. His bio can be found here.